The days of packaging your products in unlabeled boxes and shipping them to customers are long gone. In today’s competitive business world, first impressions matter!
And a great first impression starts with product packaging. The number of brands opting for custom product packaging has grown significantly over the past few years. The reason? Custom product packaging attracts customers in big ways.
Studies show that an overwhelming 81% of consumers have tried a product because its packaging caught their eye. Better still, 52% of customers have switched brands because of new packaging. So, if you’re not giving your product packaging the attention it deserves, you’re losing a lot to the competition.
Custom packaging is a cost-effective way to wow your customers and leave a lasting impression. It allows brands to achieve exclusivity in the market with a distinctive Customer Experience.
In this guide, we’ll discuss custom product packaging in detail, including its benefits and some sustainable packaging options you can try out for your business.
What is Custom Product Packaging?
Custom packaging refers to the packaging of products in a unique way tailored from scratch around a company’s specific needs rather than using standard boxes.
This type of packaging involves several processes, such as design, engineering, and mockup to ensure custom packaging fulfills its objectives. The packaging process may include modifying the package’s size, shape, material, color, style, varnish, and other specifications.
The importance of custom product packaging in product presentation
Design is a key factor in product packaging. How many times have you stopped to check a product because its packaging caught your attention? That’s the power of quality packaging design.
A good packaging design sets the stage for the product’s success. As mentioned, customers are attracted to products with quality packaging. The visual presence depicts not only the quality of the product but also suggests a warm personality — whether it’s quirky, charming or authentic. Another reason to give importance to packaging design is product differentiation. The shape and the material used in product design can be the differentiating factor — helping the product stand out in the competition.
How packaging impacts Customer Perception
Good packaging influences consumer buying behavior.
If a product is packaged in a plain, old, and/or oversized box, this may give the consumer bad vibes about the product. But if the same product is packaged in a custom box with brand colors and an inspiring description, it may compel the consumer to buy the item. In this case, the customer’s perception of the product will be positive, judging by how well it’s packaged.
How to choose the right material for Custom Packaging
When you’re looking to package a product, one of the choices you’ll have to make is the packaging material to use. Essentially, there are different types of packaging materials — from cardboard boxes to plastics and foil. But which one should you use?
Here are the most commonly used packaging materials:
- Cardboard boxes
- Corrugated boxes
- Bubble wraps
- Plastic wraps
- Tetra packs
- Plastic containers
- Tin cans
Deciding on the right packaging material to use is critical to successfully selling and distributing your products.
Best practices for selecting Packaging materials
Since packaging materials play a critical role in protecting products, care should be taken when choosing the right packaging material to use.
As with any other product, price is a primary concern. However, your choice shouldn’t be only based on price, especially since the deliberation process needs to consider transportation, storage, and safe delivery of the product to your customers.
Some products may need more protection than others, in which case you may need tougher packaging materials. Look for the following qualities in a packaging material before making the final decision:
- Quality and durability – Must be durable and of high quality;
- Tamper-evident and secure – Choose a product that has safety features and tamper-evident seals;
- Environmentally friendly;
- Convenient and cost-effective;
- Comes with quality customer service.
In addition to these factors, the material you choose should be easy (and cost-effective) to print product and brand information.
Sustainable and eco-friendly Packaging options
Consumers are increasingly becoming more environmentally conscious about their carbon footprint and more and more organizations are ditching conventional packaging materials in favor of environmentally-friendly materials. Therefore, an eco-friendly packaging solution can help you elevate your brand.
Some of the benefits of opting for an eco-friendly packing option include.
- It reduces the carbon footprint;
- It improves your brand image;
- Eco-friendly packaging is versatile;
- Helps expand your customer base;
- It can reduce transportation costs;
- It’s free of allergens and toxins.
To help your business meet the growing consumer demands, here are some eco-friendly packaging materials you could use for your packaging needs:
- Corrugated bubble wrap;
- Biodegradable plastics;
- Mushroom packaging;
- Recycled packaging;
- Cornstarch packaging;
- Compostable packaging.
Best practices for personalizing Custom Product Packaging
Custom packaging is one of the best ways to enhance Customer Experience and build brand loyalty. But for the best results, you’ll need to get it the right first time. So, let’s briefly share some practices you need to follow for effective custom packaging:
- Keep your packaging fresh;
- Let your packaging design tell a story;
- Design packaging for your target customer;
- Print alternate graphics for each product/scenario;
- Customize packaging for every retailer;
- Stay away from plastic as much as possible.
All the benefits of Custom Product Packaging
Today’s successful businesses have one thing in common: they’ve mastered the art of customizing products and packaging to improve their Customers’ Shopping Experience.
If you want your business to stand tall among the competition, you’ll need to start offering tailored packaging solutions (but also products). Doing so can bring many benefits to your business, including:
- Increased Brand Awareness: custom product packaging allows your business to showcase your brand in a unique way increasing Brand Awareness and recognition;
- Better Product Protection: custom packaging allows you to create packaging specifically tailored to your products, ensuring that they are protected during the shipping process;
- Increased Customer Satisfaction: customers appreciate product customization, and custom packaging can show that you care about their experience;
- Reaching New Customers: eye-catching packaging can attract new customers and help to differentiate your product from competitors;
- Increased Brand Value: custom products and packaging can increase the perceived value of your products, making them more appealing to customers;
- Creating Better Shopping Experiences: custom packaging can create a memorable experience for customers, making them more likely to remember your brand and return for future purchases.
So, custom packaging can be a game-changer for small businesses looking to establish a footing in the industry and achieve a competitive edge.